OPEN CALL FOR ARTWORK
POSTCARDS from the RIVER
Artists are invited to create new work to be included in an exhibition at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site, Sunday September 20, 2015.
+ Work is due with Completed Entry form: September 2, 2015
PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTION GUIDELINES before submitting work:
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site has issued an invitation to artists of all ages to make a new and original postcard sized artwork for inclusion in the fourth annual “Postcards” exhibition at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site. The 2015 exhibition will focus on the Hudson River and its many tributaries. The exhibition will take place at Thomas Cole’s 1815 home on Sunday, September 20, 2015. There is no fee to enter and all entries that follow guidelines will be included.
In the 19th-century, painters including Thomas Cole, Frederic Church, Sanford Gifford, Jasper Cropsey, and many others who were part of the art movement now known as the Hudson River School created sublime landscapes throughout the Hudson Valley and beyond. Today, artists continue to create work inspired and informed by their experience in the very same landscapes.
To celebrate our complex connections to the environments and vistas along the Hudson River, the Cole site invites artists to create and exhibit their own original postcard-sized work. Works may be a view of the Hudson River itself, or a work that redefines what it means to be inspired by this historic river and unique tidal estuary.
EXHIBITION + GUIDELINES: Artists are invited to participate in a one day pop up exhibition that will take place at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site on September 20, 2015.
WHAT is ELIGIBLE:
- Original painting , drawing, work on paper, collage, or mixed media that fits on a 5x7” or 8x10” canvas or board.
SIZE + FORMAT:
- A complimentary 5x7” canvas panel is available for pick-up at the Thomas Cole National Historic Site Visitor Center. Artists may also use their own canvas / materials, but entries should be close to 5x7” and may not exceed 8x10”. (This maximum size includes image area and margin and borders.) Entries must be made on provided canvas, your own canvas, stiff board, or paper mounted on board. Loose works on paper cannot be included.
- All works must be unframed and will be displayed either with hooks or wires attached directly to back.
HOW TO ENTER + TIMEFRAME:
- Artists may submit 1 or 2 original artworks.
- To be included in the exhibit, work must fall within the required size range and arrive on time with a completed entry form on or before the due date of September 2, 2015.
ARTWORK + completed ENTRY FORM must be received and arrive at the site no later than September 2:
The Thomas Cole National Historic Site
Attn: CALL for Artwork
- IN PERSON: deliver to the Visitor Center at 218 Spring Street, Catskill, NY / Tues-Sun, 10am to 4pm.
- BY MAIL: 207 Spring Street, PO BOX 426, Catskill, NY 12414
+ Please note: All work that does not sell will need to be picked up from the site at the close of the exhibition. The Thomas Cole National Historic Site is not responsible for returning works. In the case that a work does not sell, we will notify participants and provide a two week timeframe to pick up work. Any work not claimed and picked up after that time will be considered abandoned property, unless alternate arrangements are made in advance. *If you need to have your work mailed back, please make sure to include a Self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough and safe for its return.
QUESTIONS? CAll 518-943-7465 xt 2 or email Elena at EOstock@thomascole.org